tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 14 12:27:20 1999

Re: cardinal directions

jatlh charghwI':
> In cultures, especially patrilineal cultures, which have such an
> intense focus on the family in this way, generally it is more
> common for men to be known only by their family name. Their
> individual name is secondary and in many cultures taboo except
> between a boy and his mother or maybe, MAYBE in private between
> a man and his wife. Klingon turns this on its head, and I think
> this has a lot less to do with any interest in being alien to
> Earth culture than it does with a bunch of clueless script
> writers who want Klingons to sound primative with monosyllabic
> or bisyllabic names (except for the women who sometimes get
> three syllables). I'm sure they would have gone for "Thag" and
> "Mondo" if they hadn't already been taken by other fictional
> characters in other genres.
>
> The cultural explanation does not match the naming convention.
> The script writers did it. It has nothing to do with any effort
> at building a believable culture.

It strikes me that Mogh, being such an infamous man, what with being
accused of collaberating with the Romulans and all, would be well known.
Thus there is no need for Worf to say anything further than "I am Worf,
Son of Mogh".

I realize that this does nothing to answer your concern, but I bring it up
nonetheless.

quljIb

Back to archive top level