tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 13 05:41:34 1999

December Update

The new issue of HolQeD is at the printer and I am much relieved. December
is always difficult, but I'm especially pleased with this issue which
includes some "never before seen" lines from the actors scripts from STAR
TREK V: THE FINAL FRONTIER, and a dirty Klingon limmerick.

The new issue of jatmey back from the printer and it looks GREAT! Even
better, it will be sent out at no charge to anyone who is an active member
at the time of the December mailing of HolQeD. It will still be available
after that, but it will cost five dollars (plus appropriate S&H). Think of
it as a gift from the KLI if you're currently a member, or as an inducement
to join (or renew) if you're not.

The Merchant Page on the KLI website will shut down for several days at the
end of the month for retooling. We've tried to fight it as long as
possible, but postal rates for international mail have gone up again and we
simply cannot keep absorbing the charges. On the positive side, we'll be
going to a "weight-based" system which will actually lower the shipping
charges on some items and ought to be more equitable all around. This
change will be in effect beginning January 1, 2000 and all existing
pricelists and order forms become defunct as of that date. We will of
course honor the charges on orders received prior to that date at the old
rates.

Also in January we will begin taking prepaid orders for the trade paperback
THE KLINGON HAMLET (aka TKH). I realize I earlier posted that this would
happen in December, but there simply wasn't time (or would accepting
prepaid orders this month result in you getting the book any faster, so I
don't feel too bad about having to renege on the earlier posting). As an
added incentive for prepaid orders of TKH, we'll be absorbing the shipping,
handling, and processing charge for the book, so all you pay is the cover
price of twelve dollars (NOTE: the exception to this will of necessity be
the added postage for foreign orders). This offer will only apply to
prepaid orders, and will cease in February when the book becomes available.

And now it's time for the Ferengi portion of this post. As some of you
know, the KLI just had to contribute a thousand dollars to keep the
computer system which houses our website and this mailing list secure and
running. We pay nothing for the time and abilities of the people who make
it all happen (generously contributed by members) but hardware breaks down,
and when it does -- or preferably *before* it does -- we need to buy new
gear. I realize that many of us are strapped with added expenses this time
of year, but I have to make the appeal just the same. A friendly
contribution of ten or twenty dollars would be a great help. It's my hope
that the many people who benefit from this mailing list, be they active
poster or timid lurker, take a moment to consider how much enjoyment you've
received from this list and the KLI website. Take a moment to calculate how
many hours you've spent here in the past year, and consider a donation
appropriate to the value you put on such things. If you're in the USA, then
contributions to the KLI are tax-deductable under the provisions of IRS
501(c)(3). Thanks for your help, both for supporting the KLI, and for
promoting the Klingon language.

The KLI has been running for eight years now. It continues to amaze and
astound me. I can honestly say that I feel very privileged to have been
part of this organization, and I am thankful for the many talented people
it has brought me in contact with. Language, truly, opens worlds. The rest
of this month looks to be very hectic for me, and I don't know that I'll
have opportunity to post again. So let me slightly abuse my position here
to send a personal greeting to you all, and wish you all the best in the
coming year.

taHjaj wo',

Lawrence M. Schoen, Ph.D.
KLI Director

:: Dr Lawrence M Schoen, Director   :: The KLI is a nonprofit ::
:: The Klingon Language Institute   :: tax exempt corporation ::
:: POB 634, Flourtown, PA 19031 USA :: DaH HuchlIj'e' ghonob  ::
::  [email protected]  :: http://www.kli.org ::  215/836-4955  ::

Back to archive top level