tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 10 17:36:06 1999

Re: cardinal directions

"William H. Martin" wrote:

> You have so many presumptions.

Perhaps if you could list some of them, I can clarify. You
have raised a couple of good points. You cannot determine
the whole of Klingon mathematics, what coordinate system
they use from the scanty data provided for us. The cardinal
points are not sufficient evidence.

However, on the tactical displays shown on Klingon ships we
see this triangular mesh. That is strong evidence they use a
triangular system in and of itself. The three cardinal
points seem to confirm this assumption.

You are also right that mapping to a globe does not
necessarily require any reference to the cardinal
directions. However if you allow a system that is so
independent, you have generated an extra level of
complexity. It requires more effort to determine your
position on a map, etc. Why you would ignore the use of
cardinal points  in your mapping system is something that
should be explained.

Then the whole question comes up about the effectiveness of
such a system. We state that our fictious Klingon culture
has survived over a thousand years, that they live in the
same universe as we do. That despite being a very aggressive
warrior culture, that has survived planetary invasion (by
the Hur'Iq), no one stronger, smarter, or more efficient has
not come along and cleaned their clocks.

It leaves many questions to my mind, questions I will
continue to attempt to answer. First off, is there any merit
to such a system or are they hamstringing themselves by
using it? What are the consequences of using such a system?
How would it affect their ability to do science,
mathematics, etc.? How do they navigate on Qo'noS?

An understanding of the universe you live in is essential
for any species that has intelligence. Without an ability to
understand the universe, to model it, to investigate it, to
arrive and test theories, and later on, to express those
theories in mathematics, science, enginneering and
technology are impossible. Such species are left as the rest
of the animals, and intelligence has no use (indeed, it
poses a metobolic handicap on the species.)

Darwin works. both in the real world and supposedly in the
world of Star Trek. It applies to cultures as well as to
speices. Adapt or die is the only rule. Klingons do things a
certain way, and Klingons are a viable culture, they did not
die out. Yet some of the Klingon ways seemed to be very
detrimental to that viability. So I try to figure it out.

Ben (DraQoS)

(Yeah I know this is very late. I hate Chrismas. chay' "Bah
Humbug" Dajatlh?)

Back to archive top level