tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 09 11:16:19 1999

Re: jang. ja' <blah, blah, blah>

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999 18:48:38 +-300 Carleton Copeland
<[email protected]> wrote:

> ja' DloraH:
>
> > ... after TKD we have the interview in HolQeD 28
> > (Dec 98) p7 "He asked me. He said, 'blah, blah, blah.'"
>
> jIja':
>
> > DloraH's "jang. ja' <blah, blah, blah>" construction seems
> > to be the accepted wisdom these days. Is ghunchu'wI'
> > casting doubt on this ('e' vItulbej)? I've written some
> > brief verses with dialogue, and the forced repetition
> > of *ja'* is getting awfully monotonous.
>
> ghIq pagh QInvam vItu':
>
> > When I say <jang vay':> in a message, I don't mean
> > "Someone answered the following", I just mean
> > "someone answered". I've also used quote lines like
> > <mu' <veb> qel charghwI', ghunchu'wI' je:> or <ghoH
> > DoghwI'pu':>. The point of the sentence is *NOT*
> > that the quote is its object; it just describes the quote
> > that follows and (most importantly) attributes it to
> > whoever wrote it in the first place.

That's an interesting interpretation. It doesn't have anything
to do with what Okrand told me during our interview, but I can
see how you arrived at that conclusion. The point I think pagh
misses here is that while there is no grammatical link between
the quotation and the verb of speech, there is a formal
convention where there is always a verb of speech, almost
exclusively {ja'} or {jatlh} which appears before or after any
direct quote. Other verbs describing the type of speech may
accompany that verb of speech as a separate sentence (we might
punctuate with a semicolon) to add a description of what style
of speech was occurring.

Meanwhile, just because, in English, you like to use different
verbs of speech while describing lengthy dialog and you may
think that this is, in English, a good style point, that is all
meaningless when you are using direct quotes in Klingon.

We may choose to use all kinds of notation with colons or
whatever else while we write to this list, much like play
scripts do, where there is only some form of identification of
who is speaking what, but no speaking verb whatsoever, or we can
do all kinds of other things here WHICH HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH
THE CONVENTIONS OF SPEAKING KLINGON, but what we CAN'T do is
declare that in ta' Hol, when you are quoting what someone else
has said, you can use other verbs besides {ja'} or {jatlh} and
have any certainty whatsoever that you are speaking Klingon well.

> toH!  Then "jIjang: <blah, blah, blah>" works as well as "jIjang. jIja'
> <blah, blah, blah>"? What a relief! And is "<blah, blah, blah> jIjang"
> kosher too?

Neither one is kosher. You can do it, but it won't be right.
Some may complain, but you can ignore them, or nobody may
complain, but it still won't be right. The only way to know that
you are speaking Klingon quotations correctly is to use the
verbs {ja'} or {jatlh}. Okrand has made this quite clear in that
interview. While interviewing him, I was suprised by this
statement and I wanted to open up any door for exceptions, but
with body language and vocal inflection and everything else,
Okrand made it clear that, while he had previously published a
few exceptions to what he now wanted to be a rule, he definitely
favored the use of only two verbs (leaving himself wiggle room
to change his mind later) for this purpose.

yaj'a'?

> qa'ral

charghwI'

Back to archive top level