tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 09 10:38:05 1999

Re: {-taHvIS} (Was: Re: vIwuqta'!)

qa'ral wrote:

: QIn quljIbvaD vIngeHbogh vIqeltaHvIS jIghel:

A word order quibble:

  quljIbvaD QIn vIngeHbogh vIqeltaHvIS ...
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

: quljIb vIja' vIneH: "If you follow it (your path) boldly, you will surely
: succeed!" Since it's the boldness that's in question, my inclination is to
: tack the {-chugh} on {jaq}:
:    DaghoStaHvIS bIjaqchugh, bIQapbej!

Agreed.  Don't get seduced by English word order.

: I have the impression, though, that this sort of thing is commonly done the
: other way round--closer to the English word order (in reverse, net Sov).
:    bIjaqtaHvIS DaghoSchugh, bIQapbej!
: Comments?

It really depends on what you're trying to say, qar'a'?

A good way to check your grammar is to strip off all the extra words and
suffixes - or add an omitted subject or object - until you get down to the bare
skeleton of the sentence, to see whether the meaning survives intact.  For
example:

  bIjaqchugh bIQap.
  If you are bold, you will succeed.
  (You'll succeed by acting boldly. Don't hesitate; act!)

  He DaghoSchugh bIQap.
  If you follow the path, you will succeed.
  (You'll succeed by following the path. Slow and steady wins the race.)

Once you've figured out what you're trying to say, then you can add those
extras back on, one at a time, until you're satisfied with the result.

BTW, this tip works when learning any foreign language; my high school Russian
teacher taught it to me.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons