tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 31 14:01:55 1999

Re: KLBC/why i speak klingon

jatlh qultoQ:

>> jatlh qultoQ:
>> [wa' yavDuj (car) Segh pong rur ponglIj. meqvammo' pongvam
>DawIvta''a'?]
>
>ghobe'.  vISovbe'pu'.
>[welch' Auto ist's?  das hab'ich nicht gewußt.

javDujvetlhvaD *Firebird* ponglu'.
It's called "Firebird". A Pontiac, I think. ( I don't know too much about
American cars.)

> echts, *qultoQ* ist wie
>mann "phoenix", auf tlhIngan Hol sagt, steht's? *qul* Feuer ist, u.
>*toQ*, der Vogel ist, nichts?  das't wie ich hab' das g'meint.  verstehen
>Sie das mir?

jIyaj, 'ach mu'tlheghmeylIj vIlaDDI', mu' <steht's>mo' loQ jImIS. QInlIjDaq
pIj Dalo'mo', DaH vIyaj. <stimmt's> bIjatlh 'e' DaHechba'.

Ja, obwohl ich mit dem "steht's" zuerst nichts anfangen konnte.

>Deutsch sprech'ich, aber jetzt, mein Hochdeutsch, nicht so
>gut ist. (:]

qay'be'. naDev tlhIngan Hol'e' wIghoj, ram *German* Hol.

>> Your message was labeled KLBC, but I haven't heard anything from pagh
>for
>> several days. If you don't mind, I'll check your translation. After
>all, I
>> was the one who wrote that Klingon stuff...
>
>of course i don't mind.
>
>> pagh, ngup SoH, 'ach bItamlI'. vaj KLBC QInvam vInuD 'e' yIchaw'neS.
>
>it is okay with me...
>
>> yInIDqa'.
>
>>tlhIngan Hol vIHaDchoHDI', Hov leng muchwI'pu' vIyajmeH vIHaD.
>klingon i:it`study`when`beganto, startrek
>presentation`thing/onewhichdoes`[pl.] i:it`understand`inorderto
>i:it`study
>?[when i began to study klingon, i studied it in order to understand star
>trek {actors?}]

pup.

>> Here's a syntactical analysis of my sentence to help you with your
>translation:
>
>> tlhoS.
>
>tlhoS?

almost

>> I didn't say something like "I happened to...". Don't add things the
>author
>> didn't say when you're translating other people's words.
>
>sorry, thats how i translated the "occur" i think is what it was...

qaStaHvIS poHvetlh - while that time was happening, or: during that time,
or: at that time
The {qaStaHvIS}implies a duration of time, not a point in time.

>> >jIghojmeH jabbI'IDghomvamvaD jIjeSchoH.
>
>?[in order to learn, i joined this mailing list]

maj. bIlugh.

>> "dass"? *Germany*ngan SoH'a'?
>
>i wish...nein, jetzt, im die Vereinigt Stadten, wohn'ich...

:-) *Hanse* DaDab'a'? vengmey DIvI' 'oH *Hanse*'e'. ben law' *North
Germany*Daq mech *Hanse* jeSwI'mey.

>> Do you understand the German "jein"?
>
>:) vIyaj.  but i have never actually heard it used in conversation...
>
>> Your grammar is right, but, please, translate a little more literally.
>> {QIv} means "be inferior". "not good enough" doesn't feel quite the
>same to me.
>
>"be inferior", to me feels that theres a missing part of the phrase,
>inferior to what?

"be inferior" can also mean "be of low quality", at least according to my
dictionary.

>hence the translation which avoided that...sorry
>
>> Your grammar is ok. However, I do see a difference between "not be
>exceptional" and "be not that different".
>
>ja, das steht.  aber, dass "be not that different" meint besser, als "not
>be exceptional" hab'ich gedenkt.

Maybe I'm just a nitpicker...

>> You chose a pretty difficult text to train your translation abilities.
>My
>> advice for you is to write a few simple sentences in Klingon on your
>own.
>> Thus you can learn much about syntax, which seems to be your major
>problem.
>> HovqIj
>
>sorry, been offlist for several months and trying to get a little back
>for the feel of tlhIngan Hol...
>danke, Ihre Hilfe für...
>-qultoQ

Now I have a challenge for you: Say everything you just said in German in
Klingon, so that everybody can understand it.

HovqIj

Back to archive top level