tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 20 22:41:02 1999

RE: yIQoy *Austria*ngan!

voqbe'wI':
> jabbI'IDghomvamDaq *Austriangan tu'be'lu'.

Angela:
: I'm sorry, I'm kinda new here. I couldn't quite follow this message,
: especially <jabbI'IDghomvamDaq>.
:
: ghom - group
: vam - this
: Daq - locative (i'm not sure how these work yet)
: jabbI'ID - data transmission
:
: tuQaH'a'?

qaQaHqang jIH.

It's not in TKD, but we've been using {jabbI'IDghom} for "newsgroup,
mailing list" for several years now.  ({jabbI'ID} is also used here for
"e-mail" or "post" since if you think about it, these are actually data
transmissions from my computer to the listserv to your computer.)  After
KGT was published we've also had {QIn} "message" available, but the old
word has stuck.  You know how important tradition is to Klingons.

As for {-Daq}, translate it as "on, in, at" depending on the context.  Like
French *chez*, German *bei*, Russian *u*, or Hebrew *etsel*.

So, {jabbI'IDghomvamDaq} "on this mailing list".  I'll leave the rest of
the sentence for you.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons