tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 20 06:21:14 1999

Re: Shakespeare

>From: "Kathleen Bateman" <[email protected]>
>Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 08:40:59 +0100
>
>------=_NextPart_000_000B_01BEEAE7.BA222F20
>
>If there is any Shakespeare in Klingon that I can get hold of, how do I =
>do it? You are talking to a real Shakespeare freak here, I can quote =
>fluently and it used to piss my friends off when I did a version of =
>curse warfare in Shakespearean quotes. I actually wrote one such match =
>in a book I an trying to publish, but that is not for the list. Any =
>information please!!

We published Hamlet in Klingon a few years ago, in a limited edition book
which has sold out.  However, a new edition is in the works, to be
published (if all goes well) in paperback by Pocket Books sometime within
the next year.

There is also Nick Nicholas' translation of _paghmo' tIn mIS_ (Much Ado
About Nothing); I believe the text of it is available on the KLI's ftp
site.  But I don't know if Nick has updated it since it was put up there;
it's actually even older than the Hamlet translation.  He may or may not
have a more recent version.  He's also translated a few of Shakespeare's
sonnets, which are also online somewhere; same disclaimer regarding their
age applies (this is important, because we've learned new things about the
grammar and vocabulary in the interim).

There was occasional mumblage about other plays being translated, but I
don't know what ever became of those.

~mark
Editor of the Klingon Hamlet

Back to archive top level