tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 19 22:32:43 1999

RE: Gintaka Son Of Kovu

Thomas West wrote:

: Shouldn't Gintaka be spelled <<gIntaqa>> in tlhIngan-Hol?

A {ghIntaq} - or *gin'tak* as Paramount spelled it in the captions - is a
type of ceremonial battle spear, also used to play the hunting game
{qa'vaQ} *qa'vak* (TNG "Birthright II").

Also, a *gin'tak* - the Paramount writers tend to recycle the same "alien"
words - is also an advisor so trusted that he has been made part of the
family. He wears a special ring, bearing the crest of the House {tuq Degh}
he has pledged his life to defend. In TNG "First Born" Worf said, "K'mtar
is *gin'tak* to the House of Mogh".

If you want to use it as the basis of a name, try {ghIntaqa'} or
{ghIntaqa}.  We've seen Klingons names with and without the final
apostraphe.  If you like the apostrophe, keep in mind that the final
syllable will then be stressed.  You can't help doing this if you pronounce
your glottal stops distinctly.

: Also, I thought Gintaka was a qardaSngan planet?

Can't help you there.  I don't from Cardassian geography.

: Live long and prosper!

This we can say in Klingon, in two ways no less:

 yIn nI' yISIQ 'ej yIchep!

and

 yItaH 'ej yIcheptaH!

--