tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 19 17:09:25 1999

Re: mu' Quj 'ay'mey

trIQ:
> mu' Quj Degh 'ay'mey'e' tugh vIchen...

ghunchu'wI':
: maj.  DaH DochmeyvamvaD pong QaQqu' vInejnIS.  <QIch naghmey> bIH'a'?
: How can we say "letter tiles" when we don't have a good descriptive
: term for "letter"?

It's not official by any means, but for years on this list I've seen
*{DeghHom} used in just that meaning: "letter (of alphabet)".  In light of
recent threads, I suppose it would also work for kanji-style characters.

{Degh} itself has been translated variously by Okrand as "medal, emblem,
symbol, insignia, marking, mark".  It appears in {tuQ Degh} "family crest"
(KGT), {tlhIngan wo' Degh} the Klingon imperial (trefoil) symbol in SkyBox
SP1, as well as in the SkyBox copyright notice:

  Paramount Pictures malja' permey bIH Star Trek pong'e' Deghmey'e' je
  "Star Trek" and related marks are trademarks of Paramount Pictures.

So, if {Degh}, as well as {per} "label", is used for somewhat larger or
more important symbols and marks, *{DeghHom} seems well-suited for "letter"
- at least until we get Maltz to talk a bit more about writing and literature.

And while we're at it, what's wrong with {'ay'}, whose meaning was expanded
in KGT to "part, component, piece"?  Game piece {Quj 'ay'} works for me.

(If Maltz is ever in a talkative mood, someone could ask him about some
Klingon games and gaming terminology too. <g>)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level