tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 18 08:03:16 1999

Re: greetings

>Mailing-List: contact [email protected]; run by ezmlm
>From: [email protected]
>Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 10:20:13 EDT
>
>ja' "S'Qal":
>> to wrap up, i have a question that will get you thinking pagh, and probably
>>  the rest of you as well,  ghunchu'wI', chargh'wI' voragh
>>  and the others, as well as sparking responses from peHruS, QuljIb and
>pI'lo.
>>
>>  heh heh heh. so here goes:
>>  what are the 'names' of the letters in the klingon alphabet? (ie in
>english
>>  we have 'ay' 'bee' 'see' 'cue' 'ess' 'double-u' 'wy' etc).
>>  most of them for all intents and puposes would be the same, like a, t, y,
>>  etc, but it gets kind of tedious saying 'big q', 'little q', and
>>  'apostrophe' (not to mention 'the t-l-h ligature'!), so do they have names?

There have been some proposed ones; I remember this came up a few years ago
on this list and there were a few lists proposed... one used nouns, one
used verbs... The one I recall in one of them was that ' had the name
{'aw'} (sting), which I actually rather like.

It would be nice if we had a semi-official one.  Either "true" letter names
or something like Alpha-Charlie-Bravo (and there may be no difference in
Klingon.)

~mark

Back to archive top level