tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 17 14:48:39 1999

RE: Learning like children (was Re: Tammy - a word for today)

jatlh ghunchu'wI':
>> Learning vocabulary will come almost automatically if you
>> make an effort to read and translate the Klingon postings
>> that appear regularly on this mailing list.

jatlh Tammy:
> God knows, I've tried.  Most of them go straight over my
> unridged head!!

That's OK. Concentrate on the easiest messages for now, and don't worry
about the longer ones. You'll get to those soon enough.

>> The best way I know of to learn Klingon is to *use* it.
>> Start reading and translating the ongoing conversations.
>> When you feel the urge to jump in with a comment, say it
>> in Klingon.

> I'll give it a try but, being English and full of 'British
> Reserve' I'm absolutely terrified of making an absolute idiot
> of myself.

Nobody gets it all right the first time. Most of us look back on our first
messages and just laugh. Your first few messages will be full of the kinds
of errors all beginners make. I'll be around to (gently) correct your
mistakes, and nobody will think you're an idiot. If you work at it, you'll
eventually be able to read and write complex Klingon sentences without a
problem.

>> The first few lessons are available for download from the
>> KLI's web server . . .

> I'm headed there now.  Thanks very much for the advice and
> encouragement.

tugh tlhIngan Hol QIn yIlab.
Post a Klingon message soon!

pagh