tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 12 10:44:13 1999

Re: Aspect

>Mailing-List: contact [email protected]; run by ezmlm
>From: "David Trimboli" <[email protected]>
>Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 20:52:06 -0400
>
>This explains to me why we get things like {ben 'ar bIboghpu'} from Okrand.
>I don't care WHEN it was completed.  The action was completed (you're here,
>aren't you?), so it got a {-pu'}.  I really don't believe Okrand was
>interested in the "it's true every day except your birthday" idea.  That
>seems much like relying on a technicality, something rather un-Klingon in my
>mind.

I *really* doubt Okrand ever considered this business about "except on your
birthday"; that's more of an in-joke among Klingonists.  It doesn't sound
like something any natural language-speaker would fuss about.

~mark

Back to archive top level