tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 10 21:31:44 1999

RE: KLBC: Purpose Clauses

ja' pagh:
>This is a case of TKD being a bit imprecise. The "sentence" conjunctions
>('ej, qoj, and pagh) can actually join all kinds of clauses.

I suppose for something to be a "clause" it must have a verb, so that's a
reasonable way of putting it.  I tend to think of 'ej and qoj and pagh as
*verb* conjunctions, while je and joq and ghap are *noun* conjunctions.
A subordinate or relative clause is formed by putting a suffix on the verb
in an otherwise unremarkable sentence.  Apparently Type 9 verb suffixes do
not keep a phrase from being conjoined with another phrase.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level