tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 10 08:15:24 1999

Re: Vowels

TKD makes no distinction between English and Klingon *y*, but I wonder ...

The Russian equivalent of *y* (*i kratkoye*) is pronounced with an audible
friction.  (You can trust me on this; a phonetics teacher once marked me
down big-time for gliding over it.)  If Klingon's *y* were similar, it
would sound harsher (and so more Klingon) and also sit more firmly in the
consonant category, at least by quljIb's definition.  (Russian *y* is a
full consonant.)

qa'ral

Back to archive top level