tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 09 21:52:12 1999

Re: canon words

qa'ral:
> Also, I could swear something was said recently about rItlh and Ritz.
> Can anyone refresh my memory?

Voragh:
: >Ritz is a well-known brand of clothes dye in North America.

~mark:
: Actually, it's "Rit".

You're right; Ritz is a brand of cracker.  But now that I think of of it,
could it be called "Rit's" dye, which would sound the same - and explain
the /tlh/ in {rItlh}.

(It comes in little boxes like Jello, right?  I think my mom used it a
couple of times on some second-hand clothes back when we lived in enlisted
Air Force housing.  IIRC you can use it in the washing machine.)

Thomas West:
: I live in North America and I've never heard of that
: brand.  Of course I don't go around buying much dye.

I think it's been around since the turn of the century - nearly a hundred
years.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons