tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 09 17:41:12 1999

Re: canon words

>From: [email protected]
>Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 12:02:31 EDT
>
>jatlh pIl'o'
>> I do wish there were more anatomical words. <qIvon> is so
>>  vague, so euphemistic for such a seemingly upfront and in your face
>society
>> as
>>  Klingon.
>
>I don't think that qIvon is vague or euphemistic to a Klingon. I think it is
>a specific body part. It is simply untranslatable to English. It may be a
>body part that Klingons have but humans don't.

I actually rather hope we never find out what a qIvon is, and I suspect we
never will.  I'm nearly positive Okrand himself doesn't know, and if he
ever tells us he'll have made it up long after the word was in use.  We
have too much fun at qep'a'mey joking about this "unknown body part."
Always a hit at the Hokey-Pokey dance... Never sure what to put in.  We
wind up putting the whole body in, just to be on the safe side.

~mark

Back to archive top level