tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 09 08:52:42 1999

Re: canon words

jatlh pIl'o':

> I was browsing my TKD and found <bIghHa'> for jail. It reminded me of
> "big house". There seems to be deliberate  puns in the lexicon.  Has
anyone
> compiled a list of these words?

jang voragh.  jatlh:

> We all generally compile our own or annotate the dictionary.  While many
> people have suggested posting and maintaining a list of puns on the KLI
> website similar to charghwI's list of post-TKD words, the consensus on
the
> list is that this would spoil the game for new members.  Discovering a
new
> pun, or figuring out what the pun must be for words that sound
suspicious,
> is part of the fun we get by playing with the language.  So as you notice
> them, feel free to share them with the list.  You may just notice one the
> rest of us have missed - which does happen from time to time.

jang je ghunchu'wI'.  jatlh:

> I'm sure several people have extensive "joke-word" lists, but they're
> typically not shared.

I wouldn't want to spoil anybody's fun, but there's a fascinating old post
from Seqram on Klingon jeux de mots at
</tlhIngan-Hol/1997/Feb97/0136.html>.  Essential reading.
 I have my own list of more than a hundred more which I *will* share, but
off-list only, for the reasons given above.  BTW, I've always regarded
{muSHa'} as a pun for *mushy*, although, since MO has never used the word,
it's unlikely to be intentional.

While we're at it, there are a couple of *mu' qIDmey* I need help with:

jatlh ghunchu'wI' 'utlh:

> Indeed, one [joke-word] exploded in our face when a few of us were
> lunching together at qep'a'.  {tlher} "lumpy" seems to have a Leave it
> to Beaver connection.

It's been a while since I've watched *Leave It to Beaver*.  Please let me
in on the joke.

Also, I could swear something was said recently about rItlh and Ritz.  Can
anyone refresh my memory?

qa'ral

Back to archive top level