tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 06 13:57:05 1999

RE: tlhIngan tachwIj (KLBC)

jatlh ngenDa' la':

> Before I start, I was wondering, KLBC why you haven't made
> any comments regarding my grammer from my last two posts?

Sometimes posts get pushed to the bottom of the pile.

> Is my Klingon already that good?

No, but it's obviously good enough to have a conversation *in Klingon* with
other people on the list. yIHem.

> Actually, I welcome constructive criticism, so don't
> hold back! By the way, I've been on the list
> (successfully) for about a week now and I'm having
> a blast!!!

maj.

jatlh qa'ral:

> qatlch'a'? ngeDqu' jay'! vay' DalIj je SoH! paw' SuvwI'pu'!

> tachlIj vIvaq vIneHbe' 'ach vIDeltaH 'e' vItIvqu'.
> qID puS jIja''. Dun qechlIj. Daq QaQ DawIvchugh, Qaplalaw'.
> jISaghchu'!

> HIq luDIlbe' tlhIngan Hol jatlhchu'wI'pu' 'e' vImuSHa'.
> jIqeqlI'!

jang ngenDa' la'. jatlh:

> qa'ral,

> Hoch bIjatlhpu', vIyajchu'ta'.

Since qa'ral said something, <jatlh> has an object and gets the <Da->
prefix. Also, you need the suffix <-bogh> on <jatlh>. Finally, although the
aspect suffixes <-pu'> and <-ta'> are not wrong here, the sentence would be
clearer and more correct without them.

> batlh'e'lIj vItob nap.

<nap> is verb meaning simple, but it cannot act like an adverb in this way.
You can use <neH>, though, which is (among other things), and adverbial
meaning "only, merely, just".

Also, <-'e'> is a type five suffix, so it has to go after the type four
suffix <-lIj>, and since it's not necessary here, it might be better left
off entirely.

> tlhIngan batlh SoH 'ej verengan Ha'DIbaH SoHbe'

<batlh> is a noun and an adverbial, but not a verb, so it can't be used like
this. The word you are looking for is <quv>.

> DaH vIleghlaH.

What can you see? You can see what you said on the previous line, and the
way to say that is with the pronoun <'e'>:

... DaH 'e' vIleghlaH.

> poSmoH tachwIj jIQapDI'

The way you are trying to use <Qap> really doesn't work here, and as I said
in a previous post, <poSmoH> doesn't work too well either. Fortunately, the
verb <cher> works for the idea you are going for with <poSmoH>, and the
suffix <-ta'> does the same for <Qap>:

tachwIj vIcherta'DI' - When I have (intentionally) opened my bar,

> vaj wa'logh bIpaw.

wa'logh is "once". You are going for <wa'DIch> - "first". There is some
question as to whether <wa'DIch> can be used adverbially or whether it has
to describe a noun. It's probably best to say instead:

vaj tlhutlhwI' wa'DIch Damoj.

> machechqu'bejpa' qeylIs mInDu' DareH 'ej
> HIvje' bommey DIbom.

wIreH.

> poHvetlhDaq nachlIj'e'
> vIpaw'qu'bejta'!!

<-Daq> does not work with times, so it can't go on <poH>. Since this will
happen after the previous sentence, you don't need the <poH> at all. The
<-ta'> suffix does not make sense on <paw'> here either.

Despite the rather weird example from CK, one head does not <paw'> another.
Instead, two heads <paw'>. Thus:

paw'qu'bej nachmaj.

> tachwIjDaq DaH bIghoSqangtaH'a'?

The <DaH> has to go first, and the verb <ghoS> includes a locative concept,
so you can drop the <-Daq>. Also, the aspect suffix <-taH> is superfluous
and could be dropped.

DaH tachwIj DaghoSqang'a'?

> {Translation for the benefit of the KLBC: I clearly
> understood everything that you said. I was simply
> testing your honor. I can now see that you are an
> honorable Klingon and not a Ferengi dog! When I
> succeed in opening my bar, you will be the first
> to come! Before we undoubtedly get really drunk,
> we will play "Eyes of Kahless" and sing drinking
> songs! Then I will butt YOUR head REALLY hard!!
> Now, are you still willing to come to my bar?}

Watching this has been great. Two beginners, one of them very new, have been
having a conversation with each other in Klingon. Despite my corrections,
it's even been pretty good Klingon. majQa'!

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ