tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 06 10:29:19 1999

Re: RE: more about me (KLBC)

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999 11:20:13 -0400 "Andeen, Eric"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> jatlh ngenDa' la':
>
> > bIghHa' 'avwI''e' jIH. vIparHa'be'.
>
> Do'Ha'.
>
> You don't need to add the suffix <-'e'> everywhere - just to the noun after
> a pronoun, and a couple of other places.

Also, I'd like to point out that just saying {vIpar} would
probably be preferable to {vIparHa'be'}. It looks like you
looked up the word "like" and negated it. The root word is
"dislike" and that probably serves what you mean to say.

> > malja'wIj'e' vIneH.
>
> This one is a hard one. One problem is that the one example I know of
> <malja'> is <batlh malja' DaHuq> - "you transact business honorably", which
> seems to imply that <malja'> is something people do. It probably does not
> apply to "a business" the way you have used it here.
>
> Instead of saying "I want to own a business", try "I want to work for
> myself". Here's what I would say for that:
>
> jIHvaD neH jIvum vIneH. latlh vItoy' vIneHbe'.
> I want to work for myself (only myself). I don't want to serve another.

All these are good suggestions. I'd like to add: {pIn vIHutlhtaH
vIneH.} Just a suggestion.

> > Now I have a question. You said that to express years (old), you
> > should say "I was born X-many years ago". Couldn't you use <<ben>>
> > to say the same thing? I found it when I was reviewing my
> > "unabridged" version of the Klingon Dictionary.
>
> You do use <ben>. To say "I was born X yeas ago", you say <X ben jIbogh>.

Well, I believe the example Okrand gave us was more like {X ben
jIboghpu'.} I remember it because it makes sense any day except
my birthday.

> pagh
> Beginners' Grammarian

charghwI' 'utlh