tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 06 08:47:20 1999

RE: tachwIj tlhIngan (KLBC)

jatlh ngenDa' la':

> chotIchqu'! wa'Hu' tachwIj choDelta'

Since he qa'ral described it here on the list for everyone, <DaDelta'> is
probably better than <choDelta'>.

> 'ej DochmeyvaD potlhchu'qu', bolIj.

The <-vaD> doesn't make any sense on <Doch>. On verbs used as adjectives,
the only suffixes allowed are <-Ha'>, <-be'> and <-qu'>, so you can't have
<-chu'>. Since qa'ral is only one person, the prefix should be <Da-> rather
than <bo->.

Also, instead of <Doch potlh>, you could say just <potlh>, which is also a
noun meaning "something important". You'd have to drop the <-qu'> suffix,
which doesn't work on nouns, but you could add the <-na'> - "definite"
suffix:

'ej potlhmeyna' DalIj.

> mu'qaD veS, pa'vaD vIq'e' quv.

This is a fragment rather than a full sentence, but that's OK. The second
half, however, is not quite correct. <-vaD> in Klingon really doesn't work
like this, so you can't use it to say "room for combat", but you can say
"combat room" - <vIq pa'>.

> 'ej tlhIngan Hol jatlhlaHchu'taHchugh
> tlhutlhwI' vaj tlhutlh nobHa'be' Hoch!

You're using <tlhutlh> as a noun here, but it is only a verb. Also,
<nobHa'be'> does not really work for the "drinks for free idea". You could
instead say <... vaj DIlnISbe'> - he does not need to pay.

> tachwIj'e' jISagh.

Interesting. You've run into one of the more interesting uses of <-'e'>. I
think there is a question like this on the postal course. Unfortunately, as
far as we know, <-'e'> cannot be used to mean "about" like this. Since we
know what you are serious about, though, just <jISagh> is fine.

> vInajtaH.
> tach'e' tera'ngan SumDaq chIm.

Same comments as above: <tera'ngan tach>. You also have to decide what the
verb is in this sentence. You could either say <Sum tera'ngan tach chIm> -
"A deserted Terran bar is nearby" or <chIm tera'ngan tach Sum> - "A nearby
Terran bar is deserted".

> vIneHqu' je'.

Klingon doesn't really do infinitives like this, so you don't say "I want to
buy". Instead, you say "I want that I buy". It can sound a bit weird to
English speakers, but that's the way it works. The pronoun <'e'> is used for
this sort of thing. <'e'> acts as the object of the verb in the second
sentence and represents the first sentence. For example:

jIDum 'e' vIHech - I intend to nap.
jIDum - I nap. 'e' vIHech - I intend that.

So what you wind up with (almost) is <vIje' 'e' vIneH>. One of the few
exceptions in Klingon is that when the second verb is <neH>, the <'e'> is
dropped, so you get <vIje' vIneH>.

> vIpong <<tach>>.

Sentence order: <tach> vIpong.

> (translation: for BG)

> You insult me! You described my bar to me yesterday and
> you forgot things that are really important. Curse warfare!
> A room meant for honorable combat! And if a drinker can
> speak Klingon perfectly, then he drinks for free! I am
> serious about my Klingon bar. I constantly dream of it.
> Nearby, there is a deserted (Earthling) bar. I really
> want to buy it. I will name it, "Bar".

This was a fairly long and complicated post. You did well. maj.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ