tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 06 04:16:17 1999

RE: name KLBC

The only reason I needed this is for when a member of the local Klingon
club ask me my name at my Starfleet ship's mini conn this August.
In my case ,it's not just *klingons call me* (maybe I'm misunderstanding)
but in my persona Maud and malqa are the same person .
Named malqa by klin father /human mother, was given Terran name when had
to relocate to Earth with mother. This way in my persona I am able to
answer to both malqa and Maud by my shipmates . I try to use malqa as a
way of paying respect to my klin background /family memberss who died.
My backstory is not fully complete though but I need a name .
LT MaudF./LT malqa matoq tuq
Chief of Security /Chief of Cadet Corps/Ship's Photographer
USS Triumph NCC-26228 / Starfleet

jIjatlhpa' jatlh Hovmey (The stars will talk before I will)

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Steven Boozer wrote:

> pagh answered malqa:
> > Do keep in mind, though, that there are at least three reasonable
> > ways to say this sort of thing in Klingon:
> >    malqa jIH - I am malqa
> >    malqa vIponglu' - I am called malqa
> >    malqa 'oH pongwIj'e' - My name is malqa
> > Unfortunately, we don't know which ones Klingons normally use in
> > a given context. You're probably fine with any of them, though.
>
> pagh further wrote:
> : jatlh HomDoq:
> : > lugh'a' <<jIHvaD malqa ponglu'>> je?
> :
> : I am called malqa - same meaning as <malqa vIponglu'>.
> :
> : > lugh'a' <<jIHvaD malqa lupong tlhIngan>> je?
> :
> : Klingons call me malqa - this works especially well for those who have
> : distinct tlhIngan Hol and DIvI' Hol names, like most of us.
>
> Although I agree with everything pagh has said, we should keep in mind that
> all
> of this is derived from the *single* rather literary use of the verb {pong}
> "name, call" in canon, SkyBox card S27:
>
>   roD 'oHvaD juHqo' ponglu' neH
>   [Qo'noS] is usually referred to as simply "The Homeworld."
>
> AFAIK, Okrand has never given us an example of a Klingon introducing himself,
> though he has discussed name formulae (i.e. "son/daughter of X of the House of
> Y") on startrek.klingon and passim in KGT.
>

> --
> Voragh
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level