tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 05 09:26:12 1999

Re: *muSHa'* yImuSHa'!

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999 16:15:18 -0400 SuSvaj
<[email protected]> wrote:

> At 09:38 AM 8/4/99 -0400, you wrote:an their opposites.
> >
> >I've actually made the opposite argument - that is, that the absence of a
> >verb for "to love" indicates a society so brimming over with love that
> >they don't even consider the need for a word for it.  (Do fish have a word
> >for water?)
>
> They have a noun meaning love, "parmaq".  Therefore they obviously do see a
> need to verbalize the concept.  Besides, how can you right love poetry
> without the proper words?

On several other occasions, I've written rather extensive prose
showing how to speak of "love" without needing a single, lazy
shortcut in the form of a single, vague, overburdened word. I
don't write Klingon poetry, but I feel certain that if I did, I
could handle writing of "love" in much the same way as without
it.

I don't really FEEL like doing again what I've already done
before, mostly because there are other things I'd rather think
about than what kind of feelings I would theoretically have
about a partner were I to have one. Without that mindset,
writing of love is indeed difficult. I wrote before from my own
feelings, which is as it should be when writing on emotional
topics.

If you really need me to prove this yet again, tell me. While
you are at it, you might also offer what's in it for me. Right
now, it would be an uncomfortable task. Certainly someone else
could look in the archive and either pull out what I've already
said, or write something new inspired by it.

Please note that I'm not angry. Also, just to be clear, I am not
"hurt by love". I'm just weary enough of yearning that I've
finally shed that yoke for the time being and I'd just as soon
not put it back on again for a while. I've honestly convinced
myself that there are better things for me to do than yearn for
wine when ale is plentiful. Life is full and rich. There is no
love in it 'ach jISaHbe'. latlh vItIvchu'. "Love" vIpoQbe'.
"Love" vIqelbe' 'e' vImaS.

On a cold day without a warm coat, one will be warmer walking
briskly past a store window than one would be standing, staring
through the glass at a coat one cannot buy. The sidewalk
deserves your attention more than the window. Walk on.

Next time I'm in love (if indeed that happens), I promise to
write of it as beautifully as I can, while remembering to
respect those who are not in love.

But don't hold your breath.

> SuSvaj

charghwI' 'utlh