tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 02 22:04:03 1999

Re: Aspect (was RE: KLBC-Fr.)

In a message dated 7/31/1999 7:20:12 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< > Because perfective cannot
 > apply to a partially completed state (event), neither {-ta'} nor {-pu'} can
 > apply.

 Partially?  peHruS, a state is not a process.  It's binary.  On or off.  0
or 1 >>
Actually, we have agreed completely on this point.  I, too, am saying that
perfective cannot apply to a partially completed state.  The state cannot be
partial.  The state is either on or off, agreed.  Perfective must apply only
to a whole event; that is precisely why it cannot apply to a partial event.

peHruS

Back to archive top level