tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 02 09:29:01 1999

Re: Posts

On Mon, 2 Aug 1999 10:53:50 -0400 "C.J. Miller"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Hey, could you guys translate your own posts?

While beginners should translate their own posts because their
Klingon is often flawed enough that they can be easily
misunderstood and there's no sense adding to the BG's work by
expecting him to play a guessing game as to what you intended to
say, for a LOT of Klingon posts, we are not writing something
for everyone to read. We are writing something for people who
can read Klingon. We write for the practice with the language
and for sharing stuff for those who can understand it.

Slowly, you can become one of those people. For now, on
occasion, read some. Don't worry if you can't understand it all.
If it begins to frustrate you, delete it. Use it as an
opportunity to read stuff probably written fairly well, but
don't think you have to understand it all. Too quickly it will
pile up and you'll be very frustrated.

Just realize that this list carries several different kinds of
messages for people of varying skill levels. Don't expect all
these subgroups to behave by the same rules.

Very simply, if I want to say something English speakers will
understand, I'll say it in English. tlhIngan jatlhwI'pu'vaD
tlhIngan Hol vIlo'. This is even authentic to descriptions
Okrand has made in TKD on when Klingons speak Klingon and when
they speak Federation Standard.

> for people like me, we
> cant read them at all (I end up deleting them)

As you should.

> and yes pagh, your
> right, some languages are harder, like klingon (thats one i have
> troubles with).  Also what is jatlh? A greeting?

{jatlh} is a verb meaning "speak, say". I'll trust that you can
figure out what the null prefix represents. It takes too long to
explain.

> i thought the only
> klingon greeting was Nuq' Neh, what do yuou want?

Ummm. You need to study The Klingon Dictionary a little more.

> Qel

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level