tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 02 07:33:52 1999

Re: nuqDaq 'oH *platter*wIj!!

quljIb:
> ghutpu' law vItlhob 'ej Dochmeyvam vItlhob: nuqDaq 'oH *platter*'e'?

Ms. Pillow:
: *I could not find <ghut>. I assume it's a verb?

I don't have a listing for {ghut} either, but if you analyze the clause you'll
see that it's a noun with the plural suffix for people {-pu'} followed by the
quality {law'} "be many" serving as the object of the verb {vItlhob} "I ask
them".  It's probably a typo for {ghot} "person", thus {ghotpu' law' vItlhob}
"I ask many people".

: Also I was sure there was a verb to express "act as if" but can't find it.

{Da} "behave as, act in the manner of".  Examples from canon:

  nepwI' Daba'
  He is obviously lying. TKD

  HaDlu'meH, QuSlu'meH, SuDlu'meH lojmIt Da logh Hop Hut tengchaH. vaj
   loghDaq lenglaHtaH Humanpu'
  space station Deep Space Nine is the gateway for the exploration,
   intrigue and enterprise that mark the continuation of the human
   adventure into space... DS99

  yejquv DevwI' moj ghawran 'e' wuqta' cho' 'oDwI' Dapu'bogh janluq
   pIqarD HoD.
  Gowron...named leader of the High Council by Captain Jean-Luc Picard,
   who was acting as Arbiter of Succession. S25

And the popular, if non-canonical, expression often seen on this list:

  *rejmorgh yIDaQo'!
   Don't worry! ("Don't act like a worrywort!")

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level