tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 30 10:06:41 1999

Re: tlhIngan qachQeD (Klingon architecture)?

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Steven Boozer wrote:

> qa'ral:
> > 2) How would you say *square* (a city square, not the shape).  If nothing
> > is known, my suggestion would be <Daq> as in the French *place*.  Thus,
> > Place de la Concorde could be <roj Daq> and another well-known square <Daq
> > Doq>.
>
> ghunchu'wI':
> : {mIch} might work, depending on the context.  {vaS} carries a similar idea,
> : if not exactly the same meaning.
>
> Indeed.  {vaS} is a type of building {qach} while
> squares-plazas-ploshchadi-kikarim etc. are the large open spaces bounded by
> streets between buildings.

<Suy Daq> "merchant's place" seems appropiate here.

> {vaS} probably works for vast *enclosed* spaces such as indoor markets (e.g.
> Gostinnyi Dvor and G.U.M. [qa'ral: do they still call it that?]), those huge
> barn-like train stations and airport buildings, large
> cathedrals-temples-mosques, etc.  IMHO {vaS} corresponds well to Latin
> "basilica", originally referring to a large government building.

Heard over the intercom:

<Khitomer> lengbogh ghutpu' Hoch yIqIm: jajlo' 'oHpa' bID rep
Qo'noSvo' ghoS Duj'e'. DaH yItIj.

"Attention all passengers bound for Khitomer: The ship leaves Qo'noS half
and hour before dawn. Board now."

quljIb

Back to archive top level