tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 09 17:57:11 1999

RE: KLBC: Verbs of motion

jatlh T'Lod:

> I have a few questions to pose:
> What verbs of motion do we have so far? (I know of vIH and
> ghoS of the top of my head) How do I use them so that I can
> be understood clearly in a sentence?  How do the direct and
> indirect object act with a verb of motion? How does -Daq
> change when I use a verb of motion?

We know that a few verbs, including <jaH> and <ghoS>, have a special
relationship with their objects and locatives. They can just take regular
objects (e.g. <juHwIj vIghoS>); they can be used with locatives but without
objects (e.g. <juHwIjDaq jIghoS>); and they can take objects with <-Daq>
(e.g. <juHwIjDaq vIghoS>). These three all have very similar but slightly
different meanings.

I encourage you to read the interview with Marc Okrand in the last HolQeD.
It explains all this better than I possibly could. Of course, if you're not
a member of the KLI, there's no time like the present to join.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ