tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 09 12:51:47 1999

RE: A little riddle

jatlh David:

> I´ve tried to translate an old earth-riddle into modern
> klingon. Does this translation make sense and if so, what
> is the answer?

> jajlo'Daq loS 'uSDu'
> pemjepDaq cha' 'usDu'
> choSDaq wej 'uSDu'

> nuq jIH ???

Some suggestions: to start with, timestamps like <jajlo'>, etc. don't use
the <-Daq> suffix. <-Daq> is only used with physical locations. Timestamps
are just placed at the beginning of the sentence. For example: <DaHjaj
jIghung>; <ramjep jIQongchoH>; etc. I also don't know if the metaphor of a
progressing day representing a progressing life works in Klingon. I'll leave
that to intepretation by others. The lines in the riddle are also just
phrases, not complete sentences. Since this is a riddle and meant to by
somewhat cryptic, it might be OK, but it sounds weird to me.

I believe I know the answer, but I won't spoil it for anybody else here.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ