tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 04 16:32:35 1999

Re: SoQ Dal

jatlh tIntIq:

>Christiane Scharf wrote:
>>
>> le'be' ghItlhvam. mu'mey Dojqu' ngaSbe'. 'ach vIqonmeH tlhIngan Hol
>> vIlo'. chorghHu' vIqon. chorghHu' qaS DuSaQ jaj Qav. ghItlhvam
>> vIqontaHvIS jIQeHchu'be'. jIlach 'e' vItIvqu'ba'. Hoch boyajlaHmeH loQ
>> mu'mey vIchoHnIS neH. *annotations in brackets* vIchel.
>> yItIv. jIHmo' mu'meywIjmo' joq chaq Sumon.
>

>nuq. veqlarghvetlhDaq DajatlhtaH SoH ?
>luHuvbe' mu'meyraj mISwIj,  DuSaQvo'  boDoy' SoH ?

jIyajchu'be'. You said: "What. _You_ speak it continuously at that veqlargh?
My confusions of your (plural) words don't be clear it, you (plural) are
tired it from the school, you (singular)?"

My guess is that you wanted to say something like: "What? Did you say that
to that veqlargh? Your words don't clear my confusion. Are you tired from
school?"

Ok, let's see.

1) What? - You wrote {nuq}. You're right, this is glossed as "what". But you
can't say "what" without anything else. The Klingon standard question when
you don't understand what someone said is {nuqjatlh} - "Whaddyasay?". You
can also say {jIyajbe'} - "I don't understand" or something similar.

2) Did you say that to that veqlargh? - Now we have a yes/no question. The
verb suffix for this type of question is {-'a'}. If you don't use it, it
won't be clear that you ask a question. Remember: when you hear the
sentence, there is no punctuation. I'm not quite sure why you used an
aspect marker here. I think you should leave it off. The verb prefix is
correct, although I think you should  use an explicit direct object like
{mu'meyvam}, {De'vam}or {SoQvam} to make it clearer what {Da-} is referring
to. Another possibility wwould be to say it generally, without any
indications of a direct object: "Did you speak to that veqlargh?", then
you'd have to use the prefixm {bI-}. Also, the {SoH} is redundant. It merely
emphasizes the "you". I'd leave it off. Or did you want to emphasize that
_I_
said that? {veqlarghvetlhDaq} is "at that veqlargh". For "to that veqlargh"
you need
the beneficiary marker {-vaD}. {-Daq} is only used for locations.
Altogether we get: {veqlarghvetlhvaD mu'meyvam Dajatlh'a'?} - "Did you say
these words to that veqlargh?"
Also see the verb {ja'} - "tell, report". It might come in handy here:
{veqlarghvetlh Daja''a'?} - "Did you tell [it to] that veqlargh?"
{ja'} has the person as DO, while {jatlh} has the things said as DO.

3) Your words don't clear my confusion. - Of course you could translate that
into Klingon, but rmember Klingon is a verb based language. Why would you
say such a complicated sentence when you can just say: "Your words confuse
me"?
I'm not going to translate that bit for bit. Have a try. Remember the word
order is OVS. Be careful with the affixes. And another hint: {mIS} is "be
confused". For "confuse" you need to add a {-moH} suffix. If you insist on
"Your words don't clear my confusion", you can try to translate that as
well. Be careful wih "clear". {Huv} is "be clear". You need a {-moH} suffix.
I'm not sure whether {Huv} is the best word choice here, either. Maybe you
can find something better.

4) Are you tired from school? - That's a typical English idiom. You can't
translate idioms. You'll need to recast. Look up {nuQ}, {Dal}, {qetlh},
{yIv}...

5) I'll answer your questions: ghaHvaD jIjatlhbe'. mu'mey vIghItlh neH.
Dalqu' SoQDaj, vaj Qu'Hey vItu'nISba'. tlhIngan Hol vIlo'meH 'eb vIjon.
munuQqu'be' DuSaQ. <jIlach 'e' vItIvqu'ba'> jatlh jabbI'IDwIj.

HovqIj

Back to archive top level