tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 30 11:37:51 1998

Re: opera: SIStaH

: ja' muHwI':
: >  {SIStaH} -"it's raining"
: >  {SIStaH vay'} - "something is raining" (e.g. it's raining cows)
: >can {SIS} be used like that?
:
: I'm pretty sure that the second-hand report we have of how {SIS} works
: tells us that the cows would be the object of the sentence, not the
: subject.  As you say, Klingons are smart enough to know what is actually
: doing the raining.

Even if they don't ever want to state it specifically. <g>

: >The sentence is "Fire will be raining from the sky" (Feuer wird vom Himmel
: >regnen)...
:
: {chalvo' qul SIStaH}, or as long as we're indulging in poetic imagery,
: perhaps simply {qul SIStaH chal}.
:
: -- ghunchu'wI'

De gustibus non disputandum est.  Considering how rigid Klingon syntax can
sometimes be, I like having the option to express the same thought in
different
ways:

  chalvo' qul SIStaH
  fire will be raining from the sky

  qul SIStaH chal
  the sky will be raining fire
  the sky will rain fire

Either way, it's a very Klingon image... and considering the nearly universal
use of energy weapons in Trek, possibly a very literal one.

Voragh                            "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons      lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level