tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 30 09:28:31 1998

Re: opera: travel thru

muHwI':
: >How do I say that, travelling through something? (e.g. travel through
: >space). {vegh} is only for something that is around you (a hole).

ghunchu'wI':
: "Travel" is, of course, {leng}.  "Through something" sounds to me like
: {vay'Daq} would work perfectly.  {loghDaq leng} "he travels in space"
: is exactly the right idea, isn't it?

The Klingon idiom is indeed {loghDaq leng}:

  juHqo' Qo'noSvo' loghDaq lengtaHvIS tlhInganpu'
  During the (aggresive) expansion of the Klingon people from their
   homeworld of Kronos into space... (SP1)

  loghDaq Suvrupbogh SuvwI'pu' chaH Hoch SuvwI'pu''e'
  In space, all warriors are cold warriors. (TKW)

This can be translated as either "travel through" or its English variant
"travel in".  OTOH, a sailboat travelling {bIQ'a'Daq} would have to be
translated as either "at sea" or "on the ocean" but not "in the sea/ocean".
It's a problem of choosing the correct English idiom, not Klingon.  {-Daq}
elsewhere appears as "through":

  poSDaq nIHDaq je QamtaHvIS SuvwI'pu', chaH jojDaq yItnIS lopwI'
  The initiate must pass through a gauntlet of warriors. (S9)

Granted, this is not the most compelling text, but {joj} "area between" does
seem to be a singular noun in Klingon, like {logh} and {bIQ'a'}.

BTW:  There is an as yet *unconfirmed* text that may answer this very point
explicitly -- the "Star Trek: The Experience" communique (7 Nov 1997) which
translates {loghDaq bIlengtaHvIS} as "[while you're travelling] through
space":

  loghDaq lupDujHom qoDDaq bIlengtaHvIS, nIbuQbogh novpu' DaSuv
  Battle menacing aliens in a shuttlecraft journey through space.

Did anyone ever find out whether Okrand wrote this?  Since it is an official
Paramount-sponsored operation, it's not inconceivable they paid him to do it.
I understand there is a considerable Klingon presence at the Las Vegas
attraction, and TPTB may have wanted (for once) to get the language right, at
least for opening day.  The entire communique certainly does sound like
Okrand's work.

Note, however, the interesting double locative: {loghDaq lupDujHom qoDDaq}
which I don't think we've ever seen before.  Interestingly, {qoD} "inside,
interior" only appears in KGT, which also came out in November 1997, the very
same month as the communique.  In fact, the author uses it twice:

  quwargh tach Qe' je qoDDaq Hov leng Soj DatIv
  Enjoy Star Trek themed food and drink at Quark's Bar and Restaurant.

This certainly looks like a smoking gun (nISwI' HIch?) to me.  But, we've been
fooled before.

Voragh                            "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons      lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level