tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 25 08:56:32 1998

RE: opera: travel thru

Though this might not have to do with the list itself, I'd like to point out
that the statements infra might not be correct either (in se). I'd like to
refer to 'The physics of Star Trek' by Lawrence M. Krauss (1995). 'Moving
along a path' seems consistent with the physical reality explained:
Moving through a wormhole would imply moving through space AND through time.

Pardon me for the small non-language intrusion.

ir. Marc Leeman

> Realize that besides the excellent likelihood that despite all
> fiction to the contrary, time travel may be impossible, while
> space travel is obviously possible, realize that the reason this
> is true is that:
>
> 1. When you travel though space, you never stop participating in
> space. You move along a path between where you've been and where
> you are going, but there is no moment during which you don't
> have a location. You don't skip space.
>
> 2. Theoretical time travel involves ceasing to participate in
> one time and beginning to participate in another time. You don't
> really travel through time the way you travel through space
> because during all those moments between where you've been and
> where you are going, you do NOT have a time the way you have a
> space during space travel. You skip time.

Back to archive top level