tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 22 21:27:26 1998

Re: *Esperanto*tlhIngan Hol je

Alan Anderson wrote:

> ja' K'ryntes:
> >They quoted Dr. Schoen about him saying that speakers of tlhIngan Hol could
> >converse easily around the dinner table.  I believe they were comparing the
> >two languages.
>
> pIj tlhIngan Hol "Esperanto" je luqellu'.  ghaytan jatlhta' vay:
> tlhIngan Hol jatlhwI' law' HoS "Esperanto" jatlhwI' law' puj.
> mujba' ngoDqoqvam, 'ach pIj vItu'.
>
> If it was the typical Esperantists' discussion of Klingon, they were
> most likely disagreeing with someone's claim that more people speak
> Klingon than speak Esperanto.  I wish I knew why that particular claim
> keeps popping up myself...

Yea, if that were the case the qep'a' would have to be held in a stadium.

> >It was neat to see. I wish I could have read it.
>
> mu'mey DalaDpu'bogh Dapol'a'?

ghobe'.  vIlaDDI', *Esperanto* vIghoj vInID.  tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhbe'.

I wish I had saved it.  At the time I read it, I was studying Esperanto so I was
looking at posts in the ng for practice.  I was interested in Klingon so I did
take special notice of that post but I had Klingon "on the back burner".

> chaq SoHvaD mughqang vay'.

tugh vImugheghlaH.  (That's supposed to be "Soon I will be able to translate it
myself".  I don't think I can use -egh like that but take pity on me.  I've been
moving stuff to my new apartment all day and my father-in-law packed up all my
Klingon stuff and took it to Pittsburgh.  I'm a little crippled now.  I didn't
realize my TKD & KGT were gone until I got these last 27 messages and went to
translate them.

> You can read Dr. Schoen's words in the article "Dejpu'bogh Hov rur qablIj!"
> in Wired Magazine, volume 4.08 (August 1986), page 84.  If you ask nicely,
> you might find someone on this list who can translate -- or summarize --
> the discussion you were eavesdropping on.

Good advice but I think I'll use it as incentive to learn Esperanto quicker.  :)

K'ryntes

Back to archive top level