tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 19 20:50:52 1998

KLBC: Pronunciation

>bIjatlh -ra'yIn:
>I have no problem making any of the sounds in Klingon, but I have
>one small question regarding <tlh>.  While I have heard it
>pronounced correctly, and I can reproduce the sound accurately, I
>have never*seen* it spoken by someone who really knows what they >are
doing.  Is it normal to "smile" when saying it?  I can do it >with or
without smiling, but the smile feels more natural and >sounds much
clearer and more distinct. Is this correct?  Does Marc >smile when
pronouncing <tlh>?

He tends to raise his chin, when demonstrating the "difficult"
consonants**. He usually spends more time pointing out the correct
location of the toungue when making these sounds.
<tlh> Is made by making the English <kl> sound, but with the toungue
place further back, near the center of the roof of the mouth. It is
best pronounced more forcefully than <kl> also.

    Dr Schoen probably has a better grasp of the specifics of this
sound. qar'a' law'reS?

Qor'etlh
{{:)>

** His description. These "difficult" consonants are easy to spot,
because most of them use the the odd upper case [D,H,I,Q,S], or
strange combinations [sic:tlh, ng] that we see in the TKD.
    Dr. Okrand said he used this unusual case-sense to help Actors
identify exactly _where_ to pay special attention; to emphasize the
"alien-ness" of the Klingon Language.
  A lot of the sounds had to be made further back on the palatte, due
to the false teeth actors are required to wear as "Imperial" Klingons
[I.E.: D, gh,ng,Q,S,tlh,']. This too, further promoted the "alien"
character of tlhIngan Hol.

==
I maybe wrong, but I'm always Qor'etlh.
Very Amateur Klingonist {toH jIDoH {{:-)}
qepHom Victim for the Klingon Language Institute.
{qo'mey poSmoH Hol} -- language opens worlds -- /
{nuq, vISaH?} - What, me worry? -
{Qapla'!}