tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 09 10:19:07 1998

RE: jichu' thlIngan Hol

Welcome to the list, wo'muq. My name is pagh, and I am the current beginners
grammarian for the list. It's my job to help beginners learn Klingon.
Whenever you have a post you want help with, mark it for my attention by
putting the letters KLBC in the subject line.

lab wo'muq:

> nuqneH tlhInganpu'
>
> wo'muq jiH.
Always capitalize your <i>'s.

> jichu' tlhingan Hol.
I'm pretty sure you are trying to say "I am new to Klingon". This is
difficult to say in Klingon, and comes out awkwardly if you try to stick too
close to the English. I would suggest an alternate phrasing: "I started
learning Klingon X days ago.", or maybe "... a few days ago." Give it a try
and see what you can come up with.

> wa'maH jav ben jIboghpu'.
maj.

> jighaj thlIngan *dictionary*, qIb lengwi',
> *conversational* thlIngan je HoS thlIngan.

I'm glad to see you have almost all the reference materials. The only one
you didn't list is <tlhIngan tIgh> (The Klingon Way). It is a book of
proverbs, and provides some good (and a few not so good) examples of real
live Klingon sentences. This book is, at least in my opinion, the least
important of the reference materials.

This is a good attempt at this sentence. I only have two grammatical
corrections: first, in a list of nouns joined by <je>, the <je> goes after
the last noun, not before it like in English. Second, Klingon sentence order
is object-verb-subject, so if you want to say "I have X", the Klingon
sentence is <X vIghaj>. You also need to be sure to use the right prefix -
first person singular (I/me) subject, and third person (they) object.

On this list, we generally use abbreviations to refer to the reference
materials, and we have a set of Klingon translations of the names we
generally agree on. The translations generally include the word <Hol> -
<tlhIngan> by itself can only refer to a Klingon person, not the language.
Here's the list:

The Klingon Dictionary (TKD)
tlhIngan Hol mu'ghom

The Klingon Way (TKW)
tlhIngan tIgh

Klingon for the Galactic Traveller (KGT)
qIb lengwI' tlhIngan Hol -OR- qIb lengwI'vaD tlhIngan Hol

Conversational Klingon (CK)
ja'chuqmeH tlhIngan Hol    (this one is just mine)

Power Klingon (PK)
HoS tlhIngan Hol           (also just mine)

> ps. please write comment in English as I am not so good in
> reading/retranslating written or spoken klingon.
lu'.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level