tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 06 18:03:21 1998

RE: KLBC -- Glass eating!

lab Michael:

> Greetings!
>
>   I live in a college dorm, and there is a posting up which has
> "I eat glass, it does not hurt me" in many different languages;
> unfortunately, I can't find a Klingon word for glass (I assume
> they would be able to discover the process of making glass...).
>
>    Here's how I've translated it:
>
> 	Dochmey jej vISoplaH, mu'oy'be'
> 	I am able to eat sharp things, they do not hurt me.
>
>   How's this?  The sentence probably should have a semi-colon
> instead of of a comma, but that's how it's posted on the hallway.
> Is there a word for glass in Klingon? I would like to possibly
> get this put alongside the others 8-)

<'oy'> is defined as "ache, hurt, be sore". Almost all Klingon verbs make a
distinction most English verbs don't: "my leg hurts" and "my leg hurts
someone when I kick him" are really two different meanings, but the English
uses the same word for both. The second one could also be phrased as "my leg
causes someone to hurt...". Klingon requires a suffix for this sort of
thing: <-moH>. Reread TKD 4.2.4 for more on <-moH>. What you end up with for
the second sentence is <mu'oy'moHbe'>.

We do not know the word (if there is one at all) for glass, so there's not
much we can do. Someone suggested something with <HIvje'>, but <HIvje'> can
refer to any drinking vessel. Most of the Klingon drinking vessels we have
seen on TV have been metal, and most of the rest looked ceramic.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level