tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 05 22:44:33 1998

Re: KLBC: pagh, choqeS

>> When reading, if you come to a word you can't remember, don't stop and look
>> it up.  Keep reading.  With more context you might recall the word, or at
>> least figure out the basic idea of what's being talked about.
>
>How did you learn vocab?  Flashcards or just experience?

Flash cards work for some people.  I like it better with context.
Trying to learn individual words didn't work to well for me.
What has help me best is, instead of individual words, I would learn phrases.
For me, I learn a sound, whether it is one word or the sound of a phrase;
but with phrases I learn several words at a time.
If you use phrases, you should choose phrases that mean something to you,
and/or you could use in a normal day (at work or something).
(KGT is great for everyday type phrases)

qaStaHvIS wa' ram loS SaD Hugh SIjlaH qetbogh loD.
Among the first I learned. (TKD)
I learned  SaD, Hugh, SIj, and qet (already knew the others)
This one also helped with grammer; qaStaHvIS... and -bogh.
And that was just one easy phrase.
TKW and KGT are a treasure chest of phrases.

Look around the room.  Learn the things around you.

>> I used to spend a lot of time reading this list (and missing the lengthy
ones).
>> Now I read klingon almost as fast as english.
>> (I've been here two years)
>
>Wow! :D  It's gonna feel great when I can do that.  Right now I usually
read from
>right to left.  Is that how you do it or will I get used to the
object-verb-subject
>structure?  Heck, sometimes when there's a subordinate clause, I start
reading in
>the middle. :)

I used to do these too, to get the familiar english feeling.
Now I read it one word at a time, from left to right, as though it was being
spoken.  When someone is speaking, you can't see what they're going to say.
But this took a while.

What felt good for me once was at work I was writing some stuff down, I was
thinking in english; when I looked at the word I wrote it was in klingon.

>K'ryntes

DloraH

Back to archive top level