tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 04 17:37:37 1998

RE: KLBC: tlhIHvaD lIH jIH

lab chalyItwI':

> tlhIHvaD lIH jIH

The <tlhIHvaD> here is good, but the rest doesn't work. To start with, you
need a prefix on <lIH>, which in this case should be <jI->. <lIH> means
"introduce", and since you are introducing *yourself*, you need a suffix to
indicate that the object is the same as the subject: <-'egh>. Finally, the
<jIH> is unnecessary because it's included in the <jI-> prefix.

tlhIHvaD jIlIH'egh

> chalyItwI' mupong tlhInganpu'.
maj. naDev SoHvaD <chalyItwI'> wIpong Hoch.

> *Bert Oberholz* mupong tera'Daq luyInbogh.
<... tera'Daq luyInbogh> just doesn't work. In this case, the best thing to
do is just what you did above: use the noun <tera'ngan> instead of some sort
of phrase.

*Bert Oberholz* mupong tera'nganpu'.

Note that in both of these cases, you are using the "indirect object prefix
trick". You could have said <jIHvaD chalyItwI' lupong tlhInganpu'> if you
wanted to be more explicit. I think of this kind of prefix stuff a bit like
contractions in English, such as "cannot" turning into "can't".

> De'wI'mey lIngbogh wey vIbaj.

<wey> refers to a *military* company, so it's probably what you want.
Consider words like <malja'> and <DIvI'> for this. In this case, <De'wI'
lIngbogh malja'> is probably best, although we don't know for certain if
<malja'> can represent a "company" in the sense of a business organization.

Also, <baj> means "earn", and this does not work. You do not earn the
company - you work for the company. Here's what I suggest:

De'wI' lIngbogh malja'vaD jIvum.

> Hutmah cha Hu' Do' puqbe'oymaj wIghaj be'nalwIj je jIH.

Typos: <HutmaH> and <cha'>

The possessive suffixes on <puqbe'> and <be'nal> need to be the "beings
capable of using language" variety. <-wIj> and <-maj> are used for inanimate
objects or animals - people get <-wI'> and <-ma'>. <be'nalwI' je jIH> should
be <be'nalwI' jIH je> - noun conjunctions go AFTER all the nouns.

Finally, you are saying "... we had a baby girl". This use of "had" does not
correspond to the tlhIngan Hol <ghaj>, which really only means something
like "physically possess". What you can say is "... our daughter was born":

HutmaH cha'Hu' bogh puqbe'oyma'.

> 'o'lavghom vIchu'
Do you play a group of <'o'lavmey>, or do you play a single <'o'lav> in a
group? If it is the former, this might be OK. If it is the latter, it needs
work.

> Quapla'
Qapla'

pagh