tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 03 14:54:42 1998

Re: Gaming question

: ghItlh [Voragh]:
:
: >/Quj pIn'a'/ or */QujpIn'a'/ are certainly legal combinations for
"master of
: >the game", if a little over-literal.
:
: As the job of a game master is to oversee and control the dirrection the
: game takes, the best translation might be simply be *Quj SeHwI'*
:
: SuSvaj

Hmm... "controller", which we know includes controlling people:

  nuSeHbej
  He is certainly controlling us.  TKD

  nuSeHlaw'
  He seems to be controlling us. I think he's controlling us. TKD

as well as things:

  DaSeHDI'
  as soon as you control it TKD

  jol SeHlaw lItHa'!
  Get off that transporter control panel! (Clipped) PK

Also consider /Quj DevwI'/.  Chancellor Gowron (ghawran Qang) is also called
/yejquv DevwI'/ ("the leader of the High Council").  As /Dev/ also means
"guide" as well as "lead", a /DevwI'/ is a "guide"; cf. the Klingon title of
TKW /SuvwI' DevmeH paq/ "A Warrior's Guide[book]".

In that vein there's also /Quj DorwI'/ - cf. /nov DorwI'/ "alien escort" (CK).

Voragh                            "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons      lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level