tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 02 21:59:06 1998

RE: jab

mujang pagh:
>> Since the object of {jab} is supposed to be food, I get a really odd
>> image when I see {HIjab}.  Perhaps a dish of qagh might say {ghojab},
>> but I think a group of diners should say {yIjab}.
>
>I think of this as a simple application of the indirect object prefix trick,
>and it seems quite natural to me.

It's less simple than it might be.  Since there's no explicit direct object,
the use of the indirect object prefix isn't immediately obvious.  I would
probably be able to get to the intended meaning quickly, but I'd have to go
through a "put me on the table to be eaten" interpretation on the way there.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level