tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 24 12:11:59 1998

Re: Baby Talk

> For the past year I have been speaking tlhIngan Hol to my infant
> granddaughter, vemram (Michaela) in the hopes that she will begin
> to pick up enough of the sounds early to become an active SuvwI'
> like her SoSnI' and vavnI'. As opposed to her Ferengi parents
> (sigh).
>
> So the other evening, I was at her house and her father was making
> silly sounds to her and she was repeating them. He would say, "da
> da da da" and she was say it back. He would say, "go go go go" and
> she was copy it. So I thought, "Hey I will throw in one of the
> common Klingon sounds and see if she has been learning the things I
> have been trying to teach her!" So I looked her straight in the eye
> and said forcefully, "Qo'!" She took me absolutely seriously and
> responded by a series of fake-sounding coughs. How depressing. All
> this time I was speaking Klingon to her and she thought I was
> coughing.
>
> Somebody say something to cheer me up!

If you say {Qo'} forcefully in non Klingon company and no one comes
over to administer first aid, you aren't doing it right.  What do you
expect a repeated series of {Qo'} to sound like, if not a choking
fit?

- Qov

Back to archive top level