tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 23 14:25:53 1998

RE: Okrand: English "in/on" vs. Klingon {-Daq}

Ken Traft wrote ...

>The use of <-vo'> and <-Daq> have indicated as being used only to specify
>location.  Phrases like "In God We Trust"  or "I believe in magic" or the
>"from/of" types of meanings have not been easy to do in Klingon.

In English, the preposition "in" is sometimes locative (that is, referring
to location) in meaning (e.g., "in the house," "on the table") but
sometimes not (as in the examples cited above, "trust in God," "believe in
magic").  In fact, in English, "in" frequently doesn't have a literally
locative sense.  We use it all over the place:  "in debt," "work in

surely its enough to say
vIvoq *God*  or

wIvoq *God*

and
wIHar *whatever*

(Sorry about the crap that follows...I'm using inbox if anyone has any ideas..)
(it only happens when sending to you...)

application/ms-tnef

Back to archive top level