tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 23 08:32:21 1998

Re: WHO WROTE THIS???

> I don't know the original, and I can't understand this well enough to
> correct any of it.  Adverb placement is consistently weird.  There's a rover
> after a type-9; perhaps {'IHwI' lutu'pa'be' reH mInDu'wIj} is supposed to
> mean "Not before my eyes always observed the beautiful thing,"  but I still
> don't know what *that* is supposed to mean.  HIja' and HISlaH aren't
> appropriate for makeweight "yeah yeah yeah."

I'll try to cite (from memory though) the English...
(Disclaimer: I did NOT do the Klingon!!!)

> }> rammey QongSutDaq chIS (juStIn HaywarD, 1967)
"Nights in White Satin"

> }>
> }> mev not rammey QongSutDaq chIS.
Nights in white satin,
Never meaning to end,

> }> Qummey vighItlhpu', ngeH not vIHech.
Letters I've written,
Never meaning to send.

> }> 'IHwI' lutu'pa'be' reH mInDu'wIj.
Beauty I've always missed
With these eyes before,

> }> vIt vIleghbe' DaH.
Just what the truth is
I can't say anymore.

> }> 'ej qamusHa', HISlaH qamusHa'.
And I love you,
Yes I love you,

> }> HIja' qamusHa'.
Oh, how I love you...

> }> tay' ghopDu'chaj Hot'bogh ghotpu' vIbej.
Gazing at people,
Some hand in hand,

> }> 'oy''a'wIj luyajbe'.
Just what I'm going through
They can't understand.

> }> qechmeybogh HublaHbe' muja'nID ghotpu'.
Some try to tell me,
Thoughts they cannot defend,

> }> netbogh DamojneH Damojbej.
Just what you want to be
You will be in the end.

(I have no idea, whether the Klingon has the meaning distributed
in the same manner)

                                           Marc Ruehlaender
                                           aka HomDoq
                                           [email protected]