tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 20 00:06:28 1998

Re:

At 13:11 98-03-17, Mark A. Miles wrote:

}One further question:
}        you say - vay' vIchup: tlhIngan Hol buSbogh IRC channel tu'nISlu'
}
}        what is tu'nISlu'?
}
}I understand:
}        tu'     find &c. (v)            [TKD]
}        nIS     hinder &c. (v)          [TKD] and
}        -lu'    indef. subj.
}
}But as one verb, what can tu'nIS mean?

When parsing a Klingon word, always asssume ONE root word.  You've found it
in {tu'}.  Everything else is a suffix.  In this case, {-nIS} is the suffix
indicating need/must.  {tu'nISlu'} - "there should be" or "there ought to be."

}Also, re: choosing a Klingon name, I had the following idea:
}My surname derives from the Latin to mean knight, or soldier (cf. mang),
}so could "mang yuDHa'" be a name? Or do you have any better suggestions?

"Honest soldier" could be a name.  I bet you'd get sick of it and wish you'd
chosen something shorter and snappier, 'though.  Take your time picking a name.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level