tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 06 07:38:58 1998

Re: KLBC: yajbe' vavoywI'

: Voragh wrote:
: }nI'  be long, be lengthy (duration) (v)
: } - nI'be' yInmaj 'ach wovqu'
: }   Our lives burn short and bright. (Anthem)
: } - yIn nI' yISIQ 'ej yIchep
: }   Live long and prosper! RT
: } - poH nI'
: }   a long time. KGT
: } - nI' ram
: }   The night is long. KGT
: } - nI' jajvam
: }   This day is long. (MO on Expert Forum)
: } - nI' DaHjaj
: }   Today is long. (MO on Expert Forum)
: }
: }ngaj - be short (in duration) (v)
: } - ngaj ram
: }   The night is short. KGT
:
: Hmm, not all that consistent, is it?
:
: Qov     [email protected]

Natural languages seldom are, which is what Okrand was trying to achieve: a
constructed natural-feeling alien language.  He wasn't going for a perfectly
regular, logically structured auxiliary language like Volapük, Esperanto,
Loglan (Lojban?) et al.

In fact, "Klingon for the Galactic Traveller" can be viewed as an attempt to
make Klingon even more "natural" by adding more details, proverbs, idioms,
slang, generational differences, regional variations and historico-cultural
subtext.  All in all, I'd say he's succeeding, albeit slowly.  Now, if I
could just find the time to learn everything that's in KGT!

Voragh

Back to archive top level