tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 05 04:21:15 1998

Re: tIq yoH

ja' charghwI':
>According to WestphalWz:
>..
>> Stirlingshire Sep Dunipace vengDaq naH jajDaj SIQ ghaH 'ej DuSaQDaq ghoj ghaH.
>                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>He endured his vegetable day?
>
>I will save this long story for a time I may give it the longer
>attention it deserves and I appreciate the work that went into
>it. I just started reading it and was totally perplexed by this
>phrase...

Klingon for the Galactic Traveler, page 110:

:   The phrase "vegetable days" (or "fruit days", since {naH}
:   means both "vegetable" and "fruit") refers to one's youth,
:   a time before reaching an age considered appropriate for
:   marriage.

It's less than half a page out of over two hundred, and peHruS didn't follow
the example precisely (he left off {-mey}), so you may be forgiven for not
recognizing the idiom.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level