tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 04 21:08:30 1998

Re: KLBC: SIS voDleH

At 18:14 98-03-04 -0800, Jaime wrote:
}something came up in my thlingan Hol class tonight that we weren't sure
}about, so I thought i'd throw it to the linguist-wolves ;)  Well, really a
}couple of things.
}
}First, can you use the noun-noun construction to say "Arthur, King of the
}Brittons"  (That is, brItanpu' voDleH)?  That is, he is the 'owner' of his
}subjects;  if not, what would work better?

That is a definite use for the noun-noun construction.  It actually implies
that his subjects own him, but the do in the same sense that Elizabeth II is
"my" Queen.

}Also, the -wI suffix implies 'the person who does that thing' (as in a
}baHwI').  so a meQwI' would be someone who burns things, no?  And so how
}would you say "the person who burns this _specific_ thing?  verenganpu'
}meQwI'?

This would be ambiguous.  It could be a Ferengi arsonist, or it could be a
burner of Ferengis, or even a thing, a flamethrower designed for use on or
by Ferengi.

To be specific: {verenganpu' meQbogh nuv'e'}  A person who burns Ferengi.
Yes, it appears that meQ is both transitive and intransitive.

}and, out of curiosity, if my simple questions (in english no less :)
}haven't annoyed you already, is there a noun form of SIS and what's the
}name of the ferengi homeworld?

No known noun form of SIS.  The correct usage of the verb SIS is unknown and
controversial.  And I have no idea what the verenganpu' call their world.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level