tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 03 08:31:16 1998

Re: Doubts in some words

wa'Hu' ram mIw vIghunHa'bogh vItu'.  Edy jabbI'IDmey So'law' De'wI'wIj
'ej jIHvaD chaH cha'be'.  mIw vItI'ta', 'ach jabbI'ID ngo' vIjangnIS.

I discovered last night that I had misprogrammed an email filter some
time ago, and all of Edy's notes were being filed in an obscure folder
without my seeing them.

ja' Edy:
>    I thank you for the clarification. I would like
>other explanation for these ones. Could you give me the
>opposites when possible?

Sometimes there aren't obvious opposites.  {par}, for instance, has no
simple counterpart; we have to say {parHa'}.  Sometimes the apparent
opposites aren't quite perfect, and {-Ha'} is useful then as well.

>non - be rotten  /// ngIm - be putrid
>>{non} have decayed or become putrid
>    {non} is the first stage before become {ngIm} ?

There probably isn't a sequence implied here.  {non} says that
something is decaying or corrupt or unsound or otherwise in much worse
shape than it should be.  It usually applies to organic matter: if
insects have eaten the core of a tree, the wood is rotten.  {ngIm}
usually refers to something which is emitting a bad odor as a result
of decomposing.

>Sot - be distressed /// 'IQ - be sad /// QoS - be sorry

{Sot} probably means someone is in trouble and requires assistance.
{'IQ} describes an emotional state, the opposite of being happy.
{QoS} is a little ambiguous, but I think it refers to having the
emotion of sorrow.  For the other possible meanings of "sorry", we
have {pay} and {tlhIj}.

>poD - be clipped. But it can mean short, quick, in opposite
>      of {tIq} - be long  or {naQ} - be full, whole ?

Maybe "short, quick" could be an appropriate translation of something
like {SoQ poD} "clipped speech," but I think it would indicate that
each word was spoken in a short, quick manner.  I suggest "be chopped"
as a simple alternate definition.  Perhaps "curt" makes sense too.

{tIq} is specifically physical length.  I'm not sure {poD} is okay for
that sort of thing; I suspect it isn't.  There isn't a simple opposite
for {tIq} in its general sense (but see below for a specific one).

{naQ} would work in contrast to {poD}, I think, but they aren't really
opposites.

>tlhIb - be incompetent; can be the counterpart of
>    {po'} - be skilled, expert?

Sounds good to me.

>tun - be soft  can be the counterpart of {let} - be hard
>    or {'ugh} - be heavy?

{tun} is soft like a pillow; {let} is hard like a rock.  They refer to
how yeilding something is when you press on it.

{'ugh} is heavy like a bowling ball; {tIS} is light like a paperclip.
They refer to how much weight something has.

>notlh - be obsolet, can be the counterpart of {'Itlh} - advanced

{'Itlh} probably contrasts better with {lutlh} "be primitive".  I tend
to think that {notlh} refers to something that's just been surpassed
by better technology or recent popular culture.

>jen - be high, is the counterpart of {'eS} be low and {run} be short
>    (in stature) also?

{jen} "be high" and {'eS} "be low" are obvious opposites.

Thanks to one of Okrand's explanations on MSN, we know that {tIq} "be
long" can be used to refer to anything that is measured with {'ab}
"have a length of (one-dimensional measure)".  That means it can apply
to spears, painsticks, or people's height.  So {run} and {tIq} can be
opposites when talking about someone's stature.

>Thanks again.

Qu'wIj 'oH.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level