tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 02 12:23:55 1998

Re: KLBC: ram Hurgh

Qov:
: So' is "hide" not "be hidden."  Fine if you are, as poetry certainly permits
: you to, saying that the stars have some volition in the matter. (My very
: first KLBC turned into an argument about whether {So'} or {So''egh} was
: correct here. Canon on page 69 says it's just fine).

HovqIj:
: "hide" is exactly what I wanted. Each star hides. The moonlight is
: absent. They keep away. They don't want to be there. It is not just by
: any coincidence that you can't see them.

charghwI':
: The point here is whether "hide" can be used transitively (I
: hide my emotions) or intransitively (When threatened, I hide).
: Okrand has apparently used it both ways:
:
: So' - hide, cloak (v.t. & v.i.) {TKW page 182} {TKD page 69}
:
: Unfortunately, I can't access these references at this time to
: confirm them and I don't have the quotes in my database.

But I do.  Note that in English "I hide (myself)" is, in fact, transitive
and reflexive; "I am hidden" or "I am hiding" is intransitive.  Here are the
Klingon references:

{So'}  hide, conceal, cloak (v)
["It is also appropriate to say {Duj So'} (He/she cloaks the ship) or {Duj
So'lu'pu'} (The ship is cloaked; literally, `Someone or something has
cloaked the ship')." (KGT 54f)]
 - nuqDaq So'taH yaS
   Where is the officer hiding? TKD
 - yISo'rup
   Prepare to cloak. ST5
 - HIvmeH Duj So'lu'
   A ship cloaks in order to attack. TKW
 - qabwIj vISo'be'
   I don't hide my face. KGT
 - vISo'be'
   I don't hide it. KGT

{So'Ha'}  uncloak (v)
 - cha yIghuS! So'Ha'!
   [Arm torpedoes! Uncloak!] ST3
 - yISo'Ha'rup! yIghuS!
   Stand by to de-cloak for firing. ST5 (transcription uncertain)

{So'wI'}  cloaking device (n)
["[So'wI'] comes from the verb {So'} `cloak' plus {-wI'} `thing which does'.
{So'wI'} is a `thing which cloaks'." (TKD 20)]
 - [many attestations in canon deleted]

Voragh

Back to archive top level